APPLYING FOR FINANCIAL AID
Whether you are a new student, or a current student who is new to the financial aid process, our goals are to offer you friendly, efficient service, and to effectively guide you through the financial aid process.
The first step in applying for financial aid at ATOM is the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is used to determine eligibility for all forms of federal aid, including Direct Unsubsidized Loans. Veteran’s/Active Duty Military benefits have an alternate application process.
For your convenience, we have provided an overview of the FAFSA completion process. The process outlined below typically takes 3 – 5 days to complete. Students receive the results of their FAFSA in the form of a Student Aid Report(SAR) in an email from the Federal Student Aid office of the Department of Education. Please review your SAR very carefully! The SAR is multiple pages long and contains important information about your eligibility for financial aid.
Once you have received your SAR, you are welcome to contact the ATOM Financial Aid Office to discuss your application. The following website might be useful for completing the FAFSA and interpreting the SAR: https://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/filling-out/help
Master’s Level Menu
DAOM Level Menu
To Complete the FAFSA:
- Visit Create Account | Federal Student Aid and set up a profile to complete the FAFSA online. .
- Applicants are encouraged to complete and submit the FAFSA as soon as possible to ensure that aid will be available at the time of matriculation.
- Gather the following documents/information:
- Social Security Number (or alien registration or permanent resident card if you are not a U.S. citizen),
- Either collect records of money earned during the previous tax year, including:
- Federal Income Tax Return,
- All wages earned (if not required to file a tax return)
- W-2 forms,
- Spouse’s tax return and W-2 forms (if applicable),
- Records of untaxed income, and
- Current bank statements.
Or apply the Income Tax Retrieval Tool, which is provided as a link on the FAFSA website.
- Follow the instructions on FAFSA® Application | Federal Student Aid to complete the FAFSA online.
- Enter ATOM’s School Code (G34296) to request that ATOM receive the results of your FAFSA.
- Electronically sign and submit your FAFSA.
ATOM Financial Aid
After completion of the FAFSA, prospective students should contact the Admissions Office by phone (Masters 954-763-9840 x213) (DAOM 954-763-9840 x308) or email (Masters firstname.lastname@example.org) (DAOM email@example.com) and submit their admissions application to ATOM. Further steps in the financial aid process depend on a student’s acceptance into the program. If you are applying from out-of-state, you can complete this process remotely, provided you have the ability to scan, fax, and/or email documents to the Financial Aid Office.
The following steps outline the general financial aid process once you have been accepted into ATOM:
- Attend Orientation to receive information regarding the status of your Financial Aid, if unable to attend contact the Financial Aid office.
- Complete all necessary financial aid paperwork as soon as possible.
- Receive confirmation of your financial aid application from FAFSA.
- Contact the Admissions Office to complete any Admission requirements.
- Communicate with the Financial Aid Manager by phone (Masters 954-763-9840 x213) (DAOM 954-763-9840 x308) or by email (Masters firstname.lastname@example.org) (DAOM email@example.com) regarding any additional application steps.
Federal Direct Loans
Federal Direct Loans represent the primary form of aid awarded to ATOM students. If you are a first time borrower or do not have a current Master Promissory Note (MPN) on file, you will be required to complete an online MPN and an Entrance Counseling session at StudentLoans.gov before you can receive your first disbursement of Federal Direct Loans.
Direct PLUS Loan Application Process
Federal Direct Plus loans have additional eligibility requirements and, thus, the application process is more involved. Students borrowing Direct PLUS loans must follow these procedures:
- Students must apply online at studentaid.gov
- The applications are processed through the Department of Education and students receive their determination immediately.
- If credit is approved:
- Complete a Master Promissory Note (PLUS MPN).
- If credit is declined:
- Student is not, on their own, eligible for Direct PLUS Loans. The student has the option of finding an endorser who will share responsibility for the loan.
- If endorser is involved, student and endorser must reapply together.
- Students should notify the Financial Aid office of their application status.
- If credit is approved:
Students may re-apply for Direct Graduate PLUS loans each Borrower Based Academic Year (BBAY – three terms at ATOM). Credit checks are performed upon application. Please note that credit often changes from year to year. Receipt of a PLUS loan in one BBAY does not guarantee receipt of a PLUS loan in subsequent BBAYs.